Do you love the feeling of being out on the open water, feeling the wind in your hair and the sun on your face?
If so, then Windsurfing may be the sport for you! Windsurfing is a great way to get active and enjoy some time outdoors.
This guide will discuss everything you need to know about Windsurfing – from its history to how to get started.
So whether you are a beginner or an experienced windsurfer, this guide has something for you!
What is Windsurfing?
Windsurfing is a sport that combines sailing and surfing. It involves using a board to sail across the water, and you use a windsurfer to control the speed and direction of your movement.
Windsurfing can be done in both fresh and saltwater, making it an ideal activity for any climate.
History of Windsurfing
A young kinesiologic activity, Windsurfing is the application of the “Free-sail system” or free
translation, the “Sailing System,” originated in California in 1966.
We can find it in every “corner” of the world. More than a thousand years ago, Indians settled in
a moving mast operated the southern Amazon river basin.
How to Windsurf
The principles of windsurfing management imply moving the center of wind pressure to
Windsurfing is an activity where a windsurfing board is used triggered by the wind force’s action on the sail (photo 1).
The beginnings of sailing are tied to Newman Darby. He was the first to apply the idea of a “propulsion system” and in 1965 published his invention – 3 meters long and 90 cm wide plank.
The moving sail consisted of a mast and sails of a square shape on mast and handrail, placed at right angles to mast.
The sailor stood on the side of the wind and pushed the sail toward the wind.
Windsurfing can be a bit intimidating for beginners, but with a bit of practice, you will be able to master this sport in no time! Here are the basic steps:
– Find an open space where you can safely windsurf. Make sure there is enough room to avoid obstacles and other water users.
– Get into the windsurfer stance. Stand with one foot in front of the other, and make sure your knees are slightly bent. Hold the sail in one hand and the mast in the other.
– Point the sail into the wind, and then jump onto your board. Push off from shore until you are out in deep water.
– Use the windsurfer to control your movement. Lean left or right to turn, and use the sail to increase or decrease speed.
Read Next – History of Stand Up Paddling
Windsurfing for Beginners
Many Windsurfing schools offer beginner classes. It is best to learn in a safe and controlled environment if you are starting. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
– Make sure the windsurfing school is accredited and has a good reputation.
– Ask about the instructor’s experience and qualifications.
– Find out what kind of equipment will be used in the class. You want to make sure you have the right gear before taking on this sport.
– Learn the basic windsurfing strokes before you start your class. This will help you get up to speed quickly.
Windsurfing gear and equipment
The board’s essential parts for Windsurfing are: windsurf board, mast, sail, wrist, bow, keel, rope, plastic
slats, and ropes for connection and connection. The role of the keel is to increase stability on the water. The guide maintains the desired driving direction. The joint’s purpose is for sail mobility in all planes and represents the bond between the plank and the sail.
The mast is designed to maintain the sail’s shape and its tightening vertically. The bow, together with the mast, fully enables tightening the core and forming its functional shape.
The sail is the main driver for the board sailing, while the battens maintain the sail’s shape. We need a few to equip the board
ropes. Starting rope is intended for lifting the core from the water, the cords for tightening the body have pulled the fore, and aft sails of the sail draw the bow against the mast, and the safety rope is used to fasten the sail for the board.
Since 1984, Windsurfing has been a part of Olympic sports after its first public appearance at the Los Angeles Olympics.
Read Next – SUP Board Tasmania Australia
Specific dangerous while you Windsurf and how to avoid them
Prevention measures to be taken before Windsurfing are:
- Good psycho-physical preparation. Windsurfing requires good coordination throughout the body,
As well as a sense of balance. As with all activities on water leads, swimming knowledge is a must because there are many crashes at the beginning of training. Equipment to be worn as preventive measure consists of:
- A swimming vest protects the body from increased temperature loss and hypothermia
- Gloves and unique rubber footwear increase friction, while rubber footwear protects against sharp rocks when falling into shallow water.
- Familiarize yourself with the weather forecast before going to an activity.
- Selects sails according to their abilities. Using a giant sail can negatively affect sailing control and cause frequent falls, thus increasing the possibility of injuries informing friends about going sailing and returning.
- Wear a whistle for ease of signaling.
- Equipment checks.
Read next – Top 5 Best SUP Paddles
Prevention measures during Windsurfing are:
- Monitor weather changes and discontinues activity if weather conditions
make sailing safe.
- Observe the rules of navigation, avoid proximity to bathers and other vessels
- Stop sailing if we feel tired.
Prevention measures at the end of the Windsurfing are:
- After sailing is completed, the sail should be dried and stored safely so that it does not
damage and would be of use next time.
- Replacing lost minerals and energy leads to recovery.
Read next – SUP Boards Boodjamulla National Park
Beginners Guide to Windsurfing
Read Next – Zray W2 Inflatable Paddle Board Review
streakboard Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board Surfing SUP Boards, No Slip Deck 6 Inches Thick ISUP Boards with Free SUP Accessories & Backpack, Leash, Paddle and Hand Pump, for All Levels
- ☀[LONG-LASTING PREMIUM MATERIALS] streakboard SUP features high-quality reinforced double-layer military PVC rail material with good air tightness. 5mm soft EVA pad in the middle to help stand firmily. Precision Structure inside adopts fabric drop-stitch core, which has stronger compression force and firmness. The whole board is light and portable, and can keep stiff and durable in white water and waves. streakboard SUP will be a good choice for you!
- ☀[WITH FULL ACCESSORIES] The package includes all you need for a paddle boarding trip. Comfortable Premium thick backpack can store the SUP board and all accessories. Foldable and inflatable paddle, removable center fin, adjustable high-quality alloy paddle, safety leash, dual-action pump, additional large waterproof bag and phonecase, convenient for you to carry (such as cellphone, camera, wallet, keys, etc.).
- ☀[SWEET DESIGN] streakboard inflatable board adopts intimate designs for riders of all levels. The 3 fins systems work together to provide speed and balance. 6 D-rings on the top, can be customized with the attached bungee cord, plus 5 D-rings on the other side for water bottles, belts and life jackets. 2 D-rings on the side of the board can be connected to a shoulder strap or another board. The armrests on the sides and the middle are easy to grasp, so that you can easy carry it by your way.
- ☀[FIND WONDERS] streakboard all around SUP boards are suitable for any occasion on the water. Perfectly enjoy the whole world of stand-up paddling in a simple and convenient way. Suitable for oceans, lakes and rivers. Ideal for yoga, fishing, sightseeing, snorkeling or leisure touring. On the paddle board, indulge in the landscape and explore the beauty of the world from another perspective.
- ☀[AFTER-SALES SERVICE] Customer’s satisfaction is the NO.1 goal of our standards. We are happy to provide you 7*24 hours of online customer service. Any question, just feel free to contact us! streakboard inflatable standing paddle series can offer you with products that are fully suitable for your operation, size, water level and maximum enjoyment of water needs. Once packaged, it can be easily transported and stored.
Inflatable Commercial Grade 0.9mm PVC 12ft. SUP Sailboat Windsurfing Paddle Surf Board New
- Board Material: 0.9mm PVC
Inflatable 0.9mm PVC 10ft. SUP Sailboat Windsurfing Paddle Surf Board New
- Material: Double Layer 0.9mm PVC
BIC Sport Techno 293 One Design DTT One Design Sailboard (White, 293x79-cmx12.5-kg)
- The Techno 293 OD DTT, a sailboard from beginners to avid sailors and racers
- Bic Sport Epoxy CTS Construction for a strong, stiff, light and fast board with exceptional durability
- Comes complete with Footstraps, Integrated 60 cm Daggerboard, and 46 FF Deep Tuttle fin. Sail and rig not included.
- 4mm thick pads with 8mm under heels for comfort and control
- Race in one of the strongest windsurfing classes today!
BIC Sport Nova Complete Windsurfing Rig, 5.0 Square Meter
- Complete Rig Package: Mast, Boom, Sail, Mast foot
- Ready for your Windsurfer or SUP/Stand Up Paddleboard Windsurfing ready board
- Durable dacron sail construction, lightweight mast and boom
- Perfect for learning and recreational Windsurfing and SUP Sailing
- 8 Available sizes to meet your specific needs and conditions
Drift 11'6" Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board, SUP with Accessories | Pump, Lightweight Paddle, Fin, Leash & Backpack Travel Bag, Classic
- Complete Paddle Board Kit: This inflatable paddle board comes with all essential paddle board accessories, including a coiled leash, removable fin, repair kit, paddle, pump, and carrying bag
- Stand Up Paddle Board Features: The Drift paddle features a wide deck and performance shape that makes for fast, fun paddling for all skill levels; it also has an EVA foam deck pad, 300-pound capacity, bungee straps, and grab handles. It's stable and maneuverable with an 11'6" x 33" x 6" deck
- Convenient Inflatable Paddle Board: This paddle board quickly inflates or deflates and packs down to 38" x 18" x 12" and 19 pounds for easy storage and travel in the included backpack
- High-Quality Paddle Board: Drift's durable, inflatable stand up paddle board made from military-grade PVC and composite drop-stitch fibers for a rock-solid platform
- Paddle Board Warranty: At Drift, we stand by the quality of our boards; all paddle boards are covered by a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty at no additional cost